Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Classes

Finally classes have begun! It sounds a bit strange to be so excited about it, but now I have something to do during the day, which is nice. If only the classes didn't start so early....

I am taking 3 classes during the first month here: Theoretical Linguistics, Neuroscience, and Statistics. I haven't had statistics yet-- I'll start that class tomorrow. I'm sure I'll learn a lot, since I don't remember any statistics from the class I had at OU. Neuroscience is also pretty intense. I knew only the very basics about the brain, and now I'm learning a lot. We've only had two lessons, and already I realize how much I have learned and how much I'll have to learn. Theoretical Linguistics is interesting, but most of the things we've gone over I've learned already several times. Of course it never hurts to review, but since the professor knows I have a background, I will do extra readings and have tests over those instead of the regular material. So I'm excited to start reading more technical things.

My Italian class is wonderful, since I am transferring into a different class. My old professor was very nice, but talked too much. We never practiced the language. So we talked to both professors and three of us will switch classes. My new teacher, Manuela, is full of energy, explains everything really well, makes us practice grammar and has activities planned. Basically, it's a normal foreign language class.

Ok, so that's the update on the classes! Hopefully statistics won't be too overwhelming. Most of us are comfortable with words, grammar, and letters, but freak out when it comes to numbers. So we'll see....

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You finally started school, yay! I actually LOVE neuroscience. I think our brain is fascinating and amaging! I'm glad that you are having new experiences with new friends. I'll mail you sometime later.

leah v said...

yay, school! yay learning. i'm SO glad you are learning new things, i think i said this in an earlier comment but i'm glad you're not bored and that you will be challenged a bit.