Sunday, October 7, 2007

dancing disaster #2

Last night I was determined to dance. I spent about 2 hours searching online for salsa clubs with free admission. I found 2, one of which was outside of Milan, but looked like it would be easy to get to on the map. Looked like is the key phrase.
The first part wasn't bad. We had to take a local train 2 stops north, and then we just had to walk about 10 blocks. The 10 blocks ended up being quite long. The 2nd to last street that we needed to find was also a highway. A highway with very fast cars....

We walked along the highway for a bit, but the highway divided into 3. We needed the second road, and it was impossible to get to, because we would either risk our lives running through the traffic to get to the correct road, or we would be arrested for walking illegally on a highway.

So we took a side road, hoping for that it would intersect with the road we needed. We came to a gas station, where a man told us we were crazy and it was another 5 km from where we were to the actual club. By this time, we had been walking for so long that by the time we got to the club, we would have 5 minutes to dance, and then we would have to leave so that we could catch the last train back to campus. Another evening of unfulfilled dreams.

Today I went to church, which was held in German, Italian and English. At one point in the service, the pastor was asking how to say "hallelujah" in various languages. It turns out that it's the same word in every language present. It was so beautiful to hear everyone shouting out their language, and then pronouncing hallelujah.

After church there was a free lunch, so naturally, I stayed. They had a lot of food, which was served by various members of the church. I sat next to an older Italian gentleman, and a man from Peru. They were extremely nice to me, and we had most of the conversation in Italian. The Italian man was from Napoli, and kept having me say funny things in the Napolian dialect of Italian and then laughing. They invited me to join the choir, and offered to show me some of the sites in Milano sometime. Even though I don't have the best voice, I think I'll go to choir practice this week.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dancing disaster numero DOS! i like it... good thing you didn't try to cross that highway... or it'd be "dead dancing disaster!"

Anonymous said...

evn here in Africa hallelujah is still halleluja. when i go to one of the african churches here most of the time these only word i understand is Hallelujah. ;-)