Sunday, September 30, 2007

Verona

*There was beautiful weather on Friday night when we walked around the center on Milano. Us girls were feeling a little silly in front of il Duomo. L-R: me, Daria, Olha, Liesbeth*


Yesterday I had the great pleasure of traveling for the day to Verona. You may recognize the name as being the setting of Romeo and Juliet. The town capitalizes on this, and has a reputation as "la citta di amore" (the city of love). You can visit Juliet's house, see her balcony, her statue, her grave. Interesting, because she never really existed....

Also in Verona is l'arena, which was built in the 1st century AD and has housed gladiator games, jousting matches, and now hosts operas and ballet. Although it looked incredible from the outside, the inside was filled with stadium seating, wires, lights and a gigantic stage. But, if you climbed to the top, the upper third was left uncovered and looked like you would expect it.
Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten the package with my camera cord in it, so I can't post any of the pictures I took. However, I do have pictures that I have stolen from my friends who traveled with me, so I will post those now and post a few of my own later.

Also, I am a bit sick. I caught a cold yesterday and have been feverish today, so I am taking it easy and being very lazy today. Classes start officially tomorrow with neuroscience, linguistics, and italian from 8:30-7:30 (with a break in between for lunch). I bought a new notebook and am excited to finally start classes after being here for over two weeks. I'm sure after classes actually begin I'll long for the days when I had nothing to do. Ah well :)



*This is the group that traveled to Verona, minus Daria. L-R: Tom, Olha, Simona, Wei-Chun, me, Liesbeth, Kristina, Yifei, Lenka, Suzana*


*L'arena*



*Juliet's balcony*


*A view of Verona (me, Liesbeth, Olha)*



*A Statue of Dante*

No comments: