Sunday, February 24, 2008

windmills and more

*appropriate graffiti along the bike path*

Well, this weekend I had planned to visit the West Frisian Island Schiermonnikoog, but it didn't work out due to my momentary brain lapse in European dates: I read the ferry schedule which started 1/6, which is June 1st, not January 6th. So, I missed the ferry, but I guess it's alright. I had a (slightly boring) weekend in Groningen and I can go to the island next weekend instead.
Friday night I went out to dinner with everyone in celebration of Michaela's birthday! The dinner was excellent, the atmosphere was so cozy and wonderful, and the company was fun and happy. Here are some pictures from a slightly camera-happy group:

*all of us, L-R: Jeremy, Kristina, Michaela, Olga, Ryan, me, Daria, Anitha, Felipe*


*Michaela and Olga*


*happy couple, jeremy and kristina*


*me and daria*

*Anitha and Felipe*

*Olga and Ryan*


Saturday I went to the library to study, since I tend to get distracted easily when I stay in my room. I'm still not used to libraries (and most other things) closing around 5. I was spoiled by the 24 hr Alden library at OU. After the library I went to the weekend market-- this is the best time to go because everyone is closing and so usually you can get cheaper prices on produce and other goods. I was looking for the vendor who sells belly dancing wraps. I had bought a green one but I think it's ugly, so my fellow belly-dancing classmates recommended the market. I found the vendor at the last stall, and I fell in love with a red velvet wrap with gold beading. It's much prettier and louder than the other one, and although it was expensive I'm very happy with it. Belly dancing lessons have been really fun and although the moves are basic, I find it challenging. The last class was focusing on shimmies-- from the hips and from the shoulders. It turns out that I shimmy in the Persian style, but unfortunately we are learning the Egyptian style of belly dancing so I have to practice making bigger shimmies.

Today I wanted to ride my bike to find a windmill. It's Holland right? They're supposed to be everywhere. I hadn't seen any yet, so I asked around at church, and found out there's one in the north end of the city, so I cycled there to find it. In the outskirts it was so peaceful and quiet-- I saw more people riding horses there than riding bikes, it was lovely. The windmill was bigger than I expected, but it wasn't moving, which is strange because it was very windy.

*near the windmill (the horses weren't happy with their picture being taken, they kept snorting and stomping)*


*strangely colored geometric housing in the north of groningen*


There are rumors that there's a second windmill by a lake in the south of Groningen, but I have conflicting information about the exact location. I tried to bike there this afternoon, but it was so windy!! The lake is a bit far away (and I would most likely get lost on the way), so instead of biking to the lake, I just biked around the park and by a canal near my neighborhood for about an hour. Other than the huge wind gusts, the weather was fantastic-- mid 50s and dry-- so there were tons of people out: biking, walking, rowing, kayaking, running, with kids and with dogs. In fact, I ran into 3 friends during my bike ride! That's something I love about small towns/cities. I'll have to wait to bike to the Hornsemeer and try to find another windmill later.

1 comment:

Caroljean said...

nice entry! i like all the pics - but we want to SEE the new bellydancing scarf! you must model it for us!