Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Odds and Ends

*Flag of Nederland*


*Aa-Kerk silhouette*


*canal of Groningen*


*in front of the calliope*


*Dajo and his wife Antonia blowing out candles on their birthday cake (Antonia jumped out of the picture because she was too excited)*


So, it's been a nice week. Last Friday I walked about 4 km through the rain to find a small group for international students, where I met a few really friendly people. We had dinner, sang, prayed and had a quick Bible study-- a low-key but refreshing evening. Then Saturday I spent most of the day with my new friends from Bible study at a surprise party for the leaders' Dajo and Antonia's birthdays. We ate, played games and had a nice time just hanging out. Sunday I went to my first charismatic church, which overall was a good experience. That afternoon I went with Kristina and Felipe to a movie hosted by the exchange student network here, but unfortunately it was canceled after an hour of not being able to successfully play the DVD. Today I had a presentation for one of my courses, so now that it's done I have a slightly easier load of work for the rest of the time here.

After class today I went to a cafe with Kristina and Olga, where I ordered hot chocolate for a warm treat on the second sunny day since I've been here. The hot chocolate was a bit different than I expected, but very innovative. They served hot milk along with a piece of chocolate on a stick. So the idea is that you set/stir the stick with a lump of chocolate on the end, thereby making yourself fresh hot chocolate. The whipped cream also came on a separate saucer. Very build-your-own.

I am planning on traveling to Finland in a few weeks for a clinical linguistics conference (depending on how much travel will cost)- Suomi here I come!


2 comments:

Caroljean said...

shoes: you should NOT wear the boots & see if you can return them in April!
try to rotate... most surely.
a couple typos, dear...it's my 'gift' near the last line "just it mean that i should?" ..."go out an buy a pair..."
Loved the pics! Tell us about the strange dumpster experience!!!
love,
~m

Caroljean said...

oh yeah, the 'roaming self-playing organ' - a calliope?