Thursday, January 10, 2008

Goede Avond

Hello from Groningen! Today I arrived safely in the Netherlands, a beautifully green and clean country. It's surprisingly not as cold as I expected. My flights and trains went smoothly, although I wasn't able to sleep. My Dutch mentor met me at the train station and brought me to my house, where I am sublettinga room. I've only met 1 of 3 roommates, but she is very nice and helpful. I have mainly unpacked and slept this afternoon, but tomorrow I will go to the city center and explore. I would take pictures of my room, but it's a bit dark since I can't figure out how to turn on some of the lights. But let me say that it is very large and comfortable-- there is a fireplace, lots of bookshelves, huge windows, an alcove with a bed and sink, a table and desks.

I was very sad to leave the US-- especially to leave my family and Julian. I cried a lot on the airplane-- I was the weirdo across the aisle inexplicably (but quietly) sobbing. I'm hoping they will keep us busy and the time will pass quickly until I can see them all again. I think after we all adjust to me being here it will get a bit easier too.

For anyone who is interested and wants to send me things, my current address is:
Leah Overholt
Rabenhauptstraat 50A
9725 CE Groningen

*this the Nereida's (Julian's roommate) crazy bird who is very loud*


*We got to go to church with Chris and have dinner after with some friends!*


*dancing at Cecilia's with Zuzana and Herbert*


*by the White House after attending (sneaking in) an Annie Liebovitz exhibit*


*at the airport*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice!! the dancing dress is darker than i expected,... a little skimpy for church...but very pretty! ~m