Monday, March 3, 2008

Schiermonnikoog

*flag of Schiermonnikoog*

On Saturday I went for another day trip-- this time to the Frisian Island Schiermonnikoog. The entire island is a national park, full of rare birds and pleasant beach views of the North Sea. You get there by ferry, which I was a bit nervous about since the last ferry I rode for a long time resulted in me heaving my breakfast overboard. But this ferry is HUGE and incredibly comfortable. It felt like an upscale cafeteria on a boat.

We arrived on a day in which winds were strong. Very strong. Weather warnings on the news strong. When we walked off the boat, we learned very quickly that in order to walk in the direction of your choice, you have to slant your body forward and horse step instead of walking normally. There was no hope of nice hair. Most of my pictures were blurry from the wind "bumping" my elbow.

We tried to walk across the bridge to get to the island, but a policeman stopped us and pointed out that we might die, and we should take a taxi. We wisely followed his advice.

Then we walked around, found the beach and the lighthouse. We walked beside thatched-roof houses in the village and then hunkered in for the afternoon at a restaurant. We had poffertjes (mini pancakes with powdered sugar on them), french fries and cocoa. A very healthy lunch!!
Later on, we found some whaling things-- a harpoon and a whale clamp were part of a children's playground and a blue whale jawbone served as a gate to a sort of town square.

Before the return ferry, we walked a bit more and bought books at a used book store. We didn't see the sunset, but I can imagine it was gorgeous. It's a popular destination in the summer and I can see why.

Our return ferry was delayed a bit, since the taxis couldn't cross the bridge to get to it due to high water. Eventually, the water went down a little, but as we crossed the waves crashed into the tires and we drove through a lot of water... I'm glad I'm not currently in the North Sea.


*trying to stand on a cliff-- the wind is blowing me backwards!*


*lighthouse of Schiermonnikoog*


*my glasses were so dirty from the wind blowing sand in my face*


*me and a harpoon*

*Ryan in a whale clamp*


*me under a blue whale jawbone*




No comments: