Sunday, July 6, 2008

4th of July + Aphasia Conference

*Happy 4th of July!!*

Happy 4th of July from Berlin!

I didn't really celebrate, although I did wear red, white and blue. On the 4th and the 5th, my classmates and I were invited to attend a cross-linguistic aphasia conference. This basically meant that on Friday and Saturday, we attended presentations from researchers and PhD students who had conducted experiments looking into various aspects of language used by brain-damaged people. Information was given from Dutch, German, English, Korean, Spanish, Basque, Shona, and Greek. It was fantastic and made me momentarily want to be a researcher. Although technically research is the path that I am headed towards in my current program, I don't plan on following it, at least for now. The current plan is to get a job and gain experience doing something other than being a student, and then later if I miss the academic world, I can return. But I'll miss conferences where we hear about the latest research...

Anyway, after the conference, we were taken out to dinner by our program (thanks EMCL!) where we all had a nice time. The second day we all had lunch together, then took a bus tour of Potsdam, which was highly informative and entertaining since our tour guide was very sarcastic and witty while telling us the detailed history of a rather tumultuous town.

*professors at dinner*


*felipe, olha, olga, kristina, daria and elif ready for our bus tour!*


*enjoying the beautiful weather atop the bus*


*nikolai kirche and potsdam city palace, under construction and surrounded by an archaeological dig*


*former royal stables*


*building with mosaic from the communist era*


*nauener tor*


*back of schloss sanssouci, which means without worries in french*


*i like this picture of daria and elif-- so beautiful!*

No comments: