Monday, September 24, 2007

buona sera

I wanted to post pictures, but unfortunately I still haven't received the package from my parents with the cord which connects my camera to my computer. I think the people at the reception desk in my residence hall are getting tired of me asking every day if I have any mail. I've started asking, Are you sure? as well, which they don't seem thrilled about....

Last Saturday I went with 7 of my classmates to the beautiful town Genoa (Genova). The city is located on the sea and is the typical Italian town-- gorgeous. Old buildings, incredibly narrow streets, ornate cathedrals, focaccia bread (the Genovese specialty). Christopher Columbus lived there, so you can visit his "house," which many don't believe he actually lived in. But it's a nice tourist attraction. We mainly walked all day, looking at piazza after piazza, strolling into cathedrals with frescos covering every surface, window shopped and had ice cream. Every once in awhile there was a woman playing an accordion on the side of the street, giving us nice background music. We also saw the "beacon of Genova," the famous lighthouse. I'll post pictures when I get my package.

I found an English speaking church here in Milano, which now seems quite modern and ugly after going to Genoa. Although I got lost on the way (which I know is a shock to everyone) I made it for half of the service. It was so international-- lots of people from various Asian and African countries. I met a girl from America and a girl from Ireland, who were both very kind.

Today we had our first departmental meeting to discuss administrative business-- schedules, tax codes, permits of stay, etc. The we took a preliminary exam for theoretical linguistics, to give our professor an idea of our levels. I was very happy to pass the exam, which means that parts of the course are optional for me, and I'll be given independent study materials for certain topics to go deeper. I'll still attend the class, and it turns out that only two of us will have supplemental material.

Sad to say, classes will begin at 8:30. am. Now my italian course starts at 9:30, and that is early enough for me.... let's see how it goes....

buona notte tutti

2 comments:

leah v said...

hey that's great! i'm all about depth-at least you won't be bored, you'll get to learn and see a culture!

leahjoelle said...

unfortunately, we haven't been learning a lot... we're going to try and transfer to another class. our teacher is super nice, but we don't like his teaching style... hopefully i can transfer