Monday, May 24, 2010

Mulberry Pie


*it's ready for the oven!*

We have three mulberry trees growing in our front yard. Two of them don't have berries yet, but the other one is dropping black, juicy berries. I had never had mulberries before, but when we found out that they're sweet and safe to eat, we harvested the first crop of mulberries! Last night I baked a mulberry pie (which was delicious)- a very proud moment since it was my first fruit pie (with a lattice top, even!) and it was even more delicious knowing the berries came from our yard!

Now I'm spotting mulberry trees on my way to work and in our neighbor's yards... most people dislike mulberries because they stain, so maybe Julian and I will provide a neighborhood service of picking the berries :) Pie all summer long, yum!


*my wonderful husband, picking mulberries*


*proudly displaying our haul*



*time to make it into a pie!*


*fixing the crust*


*nice and warm- time to eat!*

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOVE it! martha stewart would be proud! i don't think the trees produce ripe fruit all summer, but it's a nice thought! ~m

otis said...

We had a mulberry tree at the county park. They do make a mess, but they are very juicy and yummy. Happy Birthday. Love you, Grandma J