Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Parties!

We've been having a lot of birthdays in our group, therefore we've been having parties. Also, the European Cup is currently going on for soccer (or fussball), so we've been watching games here and there, although I've technically only watched one.... Every night they have games, and you can hear people honking and celebrating the victories of their countries. Naturally when Germany wins (which they've been doing a lot of) you hear the most noise, although the Turkish fans know how to celebrate too!

*kujtime invited us all over for tortillas to celebrate her birthday. They were delicious!*


*rooting for the Dutch team (who won!): Elif, Felipe, Mixaela, Anitha, me*


*anitha, me, mixaela*


*happy friends: weichun, kujtime, cindy*


*somehow we were convinced to dance salsa.. ryan, david and felipe all danced with me. i'm laughing because ryan was shaking his hips a lot to entertain everyone*


*then anitha did some indian dancing for us*


*Later Lars joined in*


*drinks with two of our professors from the netherlands-- Dr. Bol and Dr. Bastiaanse. Dr. Bastiaanse will be my thesis advisor. Sadly, you can't see either of them in the group pic*


*Greek dinner: tom, anitha, yifei, felipe, me, cindy, libei, weichun*


Other than that things in Germany and moving along steadily. We are all planning our thesis time now, meeting with professors and trying to juggle our large work load (10 classes!!). I'll be writing my thesis with my professor from the Netherlands, although I'll be writing it from DC. My thesis will be about African American dialectal speakers of English, and how certain grammatical features might be changed in aphasia, when they have language disorders due to brain damage. Originally I planned on staying in Berlin a bit longer, but today I decided it would be nice to be home to write my thesis, and so I bought a ticket to go home at the end of July. I'll have to come back to Greece for a conference in September, but other than that I'll be back home. I feel a little nervous about the decision, but mainly I feel very excited to see Julian again :)

1 comment:

leah v said...

hey! there you go!!! greece!! tell me everything.

wow, end of july is not a month away. i mean it is exactly a month away. well that's good news, my friend, i'm sure you've enjoyed your travels but are anxious for a different life *wink.