Sunday, June 29, 2008

Eurocup!

Last Wednesday night Germany beat Turkey in the semi-finals!!! I went out with my friends to watch the game at Brandenburg Gate, but unfortunately too many people were there and the police wouldn't let anyone else through. We ended up watching the game at a biergarten downtown, which was still really nice and exciting. The game was fantastic-- Germany and Turkey were tied for the majority of the game, both scoring towards the end. In the last minute of the game, Germany scored the winning goal!! That night was crazy here, with Germans yelling and singing, with painted faces and flags draped on their bodies and cars. The trains were jam-packed full of people singing either: Deutschland, deutschland, deutschland or Finale, oh oh, Finale, oh oh oh oh. It was pretty easy to join in, and when I left for France the next day around 5 am I saw people heading home in their German colors.

*the Turkish and German fans by the Brandenburg Gate. Maybe it's a good thing we didn't make it there.... it looks crowded.*


*by the Siegessäule on the way to watch the game*


*watching the game in a biergarten*


*Anitha*


*Libei and Anitha celebrate Germany's victory!*


*Happy Germans in the Biergarten*


*happy Germany fans*

The final game was between Germany and Spain, and although I had planned on watching it, I was super tired after my trip to France and ended up sleeping all day. So, I missed the first part of the game and watched the rest online...Sadly, Germany lost. I don't know that much about the technicality of soccer, but it didn't seem as though Germany played very well. But at least they made it to the finals!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice pics! looks like fun, but i'm glad you didn't make it to the Gate!
~mom