Friday, May 9, 2008

Cemetery


Today I went for a long walk in and around my neighborhood, enjoying my day off of classes and the warm sunshine. I purposely got "lost" several times, trying to find interesting things in the nooks and crannies. As I was walking I saw several people going in and out of a park-ish area, which was gated and fenced. I saw the park sign-- a picture of a tulip-- and decided to explore the park. Soon I found out that it's a park....... but also a cemetery, which is weird. It was the most beautiful cemetery I've ever seen, with neatly arranged flower beds, nature paths, benches and fountains, and graves. Each plot was like a mini garden, with fresh blooms and artfully arranged plants. Best of all, it was quiet and peaceful. There weren't many people walking around, so I'm actually not sure that it's acceptable for people to go on their evening walk there. Most people I saw were tending to the graves/garden.

As I left, I noticed the signs on the gate:
WAS IHR SEID, DAS WERDEN WIR (what you are-- the dead, we will be)
WAS WIR SIND, DAS WARTER IHR (what we are-- the dead, you will be)

Hmm in English it doesn't sound as nice actually. But basically, on one side of the gate was one perspective-- we will be what the people inside are, dead. On the other side of the gate was the other perspective-- what we are (dead) you await. It's striking in German anyway.

I also saved a bird today. It was stuck in the stairwell, one landing below mine. The courtyard is always open, since it doubles as a pathway between the actual bakery and the shop of the bakery. I made a path of open doors and windows for the poor bird and shooed it out. I hope it's ok... it kept banging into the window trying to get out, so there might be some brain damage. Someone needs to build a little MRI machine for birds.

Tomorrow is a (LONG) day trip to Hamburg! 4 hours in the train each way.... I think we'll all be dead tired once we get back. But Kristina just reminded me of some great news--- no class on Monday!!!! Pentecost is a holiday here, so public places, like universities, are all closed. Which means more time to sleep, relax, work, try to find a job and work on my tan.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nice cemetary pic!! i see what you mean.... don't really think a tiny MRI is required... their brains are painfully small to begin with! ~m